last posts

What You Need To Know About the Insurance Adjusters that Will Call You After a Car Accident

In the first two weeks after a car accident, you will likely receive calls from 2-3 different insurance adjusters. This can be confusing and stressful. Adjusters are insurance company representatives. Some work directly for the insurance company and some work for private agencies that are hired by insurance companies.

the Insurance Adjusters that Will Call You After a Car Accident

When you receive a call from an adjuster, the first thing you need to find out is which insurance company they work for -- 1) the insurance company of the car you were in or 2) the insurance company of the other driver. Read also: What is the Process for Getting an Insurance Settlement for the Damage to My Car?

Generally speaking, you should feel free to speak with insurance adjusters from the insurance company for the car you were in (Section B Adjusters) -- these representatives will help you make a claim for Section B Accident Benefits. They also have a legal duty to look out for your best interests. You should complete the Section B Forms and return them to the Section B Adjuster.

The Insurance Adjusters that Will Call You After a Car Accident

On the other hand, the adjusters for the insurance company (Section A Adjusters) for the other driver have a legal duty to look out for the best interests of the other driver. You should arrange a free phone consultation with a lawyer before you agree to speak with any representatives of the other driver. You should not sign any forms or give a written "statement" about the accident. Read also: What is Nova Scotia's Compensation System for People Injured in Car Accidents?

Finally, you will need to deal with a third adjuster about the property damage to your car. If you had collision protection on your car, then you will be dealing with an adjuster from your own car insurance company. You should ask if you have coverage for a rental car. You should cooperate with this adjuster to get an appraisal of the damage to your car. Generally speaking, you should be able to process your claim for damage in a couple of weeks.

On the other hand, if you don't have collision protection on your insurance, then you will be stuck dealing with the insurance adjuster for the other driver. Unfortunately, you are going to have a much more difficult time than if you were dealing with your insurance company. Read also: Meeting A Car Accident Lawyer.

It can take weeks or months to process the claim as the insurance company will want to do a full investigation to see if they can argue that you are partially or totally at fault for the accident. You have very little control over this process and may have to go to court to have the matter settled.


Font Size
lines height